Monday, January 12, 2015

January 2015 Scan Results at Mayo

Hello!!  Well, today I had my first scans since November.  I knew in November I had at least 5 spots on my lungs.  Also I had that tumor in my hip which was causing me pain and I had radiation for the first week of December.

I talked with my oncologist, Dr. Scott Okuno and the scans showed progression of disease.  What that means is the spots I had on my lungs have grown but they are still millimeters big so nothing to freak out about.  I also have a small spot on my liver.  They didn't mention the tumor in my hip so it must be small enough or gone so they didn't feel they needed to mention it.

He also gave me a list of therapies that might be good for my cancer.  They sent my tumor out to a company named Caris which tested the specimen to see what drugs I might respond well to.  Some that I have already taken were on the list so he said we've tried the right drugs.  Then a couple new ones popped up and I haven't heard of them so I am going to do some research on them.  They are ironotecan and topotecan and temsirolimus.   He said they are usually not indicated for soft tissue sarcoma but my tumor responded to them.

Wednesday I go in and actually talk to the geneticist who will explain in more detail any DNA mutations that my children might have to worry about in the future.  So I am anticipating that appointment so I can try to alleviate any pain my children and their offspring might encounter.  I talked about some VERY detailed genetic testing but he said it was also VERY expensive!!

So not great news but not bad news either.

We also discussed why sometimes if you take out a primary tumor why the mets seem to become more aggressive.  He talked about the body freaking out and shutting down it's own immune system when the primary tumor is removed.  It's all pretty weird how the systems in your body which are there to protect you actually stop working.  It's all beyond me.

Prayers are always appreciated.  Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment